What is Volumes in Metatrader

shanmugapradeep

Active Trader
Dec 18, 2020
Hello,

I know, the Volume generally mean Lot size in MT4 when we are opening new orders. But what is Volume in chart?

What kind of information or data it shows?. And how it is useful?

hayseed

Master Trader
Jul 27, 2010
usa
volume, in mq4 , is said to be the total of the ticks per period....... that will likely cause you to ask, what is a tick......

the real life metaquotes guys like rosh, rashid umarov and stringo, slava, seem to always point to the definition of tick in the metaquotes book appendix glossary...........

it says, Tick is an event characterized by a new price for a symbol at some moment.

simply a price change......

some of the best non metaquotes guys on the mq4/5 forums agree.....

i tend to think ticks/volume represent for the most part price change updates , a change in bid and/or ask ...... but also a small percentage are for other information updates.....
//-------

why is it important.....

one reason might be it helps point out active times...... by knowing the volume per bar you can predict a average dollar amount to be made, or lost, per bar per time of day......

pick a symbol your very familiar with ....... there are 1440 minutes in a day......

using a single mini lot , list out in order, the average dollar amount made/lost for every minute of the day..... this will show volumes importance.......

ease of movement also needs to be understood......h
//------

mnqm24-m1-amp-global-clearing-2.png

//------

mnqm24-m5-amp-global-clearing-nq.png

• 👍
Reactions: Enivid

jim_

Trader
Jul 29, 2024
In MetaTrader, volume refers to the number of lots (unit sizes) traded within a specified period. It provides an insight into market activity and liquidity for a particular instrument. Monitoring volume can help traders gauge the strength of a price movement and make informed trading decisions.

fargana

Active Trader
Nov 14, 2022
Hello,

I know, the Volume generally mean Lot size in MT4 when we are opening new orders. But what is Volume in chart?

What kind of information or data it shows?. And how it is useful?
Amount of price updates (ticks) during certain period. Not a volume but still a measure of market activity. Just compare Asian and European session for example.

Zerologic

Trader
Jul 17, 2024
In MetaTrader, volume refers to the number of lots (unit sizes) traded within a specified period. It provides an insight into market activity and liquidity for a particular instrument. Monitoring volume can help traders gauge the strength of a price movement and make informed trading decisions.
I was wondering, does the volume in MT4 reflect value globally or does it only represent a particular broker's volume?