What's stopping a VPS hosting company blitzing your account?

GtGatsby

Trader
Oct 26, 2012
Many traders use a VPS hosting company to run their EAs, myself included. I don't know how a VPS works, e.g. security, encryption, who can access it etc. But I assume that somewhere down the line there are people on-site who can access/view my server and everything on it?

1. Call me paranoid, but how do I know that a VPS provider will do the right thing and not pry or tamper with my MT4 when it's up and running?

2. Call me doubly-paranoid, but couldn't a malicious/disgruntled server administrator just log onto my VPS, see my MT4 running and wreak havoc on my trading account?

My bankroll is starting to grow to a decent size and the thought of my trading account just being open on a remote server on the other side of the world and being overlooked by a stranger on good faith makes me nervous.

Is it worth setting up a home server instead? I know there are cons but it avoids physical tampering.

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Well, why would they want to tamper with the MT4 platform or compromise your privacy?
But setting up a dedicated server at home is going to be expensive..and not worth it unless you have the funds to set one up along with tech abilities to maintain one..

hayseed

Master Trader
Jul 27, 2010
usa
server

do you have a reliable internet connection at your house.... that should suffice....

all i use is wireless cards.... this way no matter where i go, one of them and a laptop can go to..... i run multiple ea's per platform per account non stop with no problems..... and my ea's are intense beyond belief....

course, if you do not have a reliable internet connection, this would not work.....h

GtGatsby

Trader
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks hayseed. I'll look into this option. I've not had luck with wireless cards in the past but that was several years ago. Hopefully reliability and performance has moved on since then.

Last edited:

inggo

Banned
Jan 13, 2012
Philippinese
there is risk in everything, but look at it the other way around, like for example if i hosted the VPS would i bother going through thousands of accounts just to sabotage it? it has this domino effect that later down the line it will cost me my earnings from hosting, if it was a broker that hosting the VPS, an STP would they gamble to loose their clients, given that there main earnings comes from SPREADS?

i still believe there are good people in this world despite having a sea of greed MOFOS trying to rip people off. :)

Fxpipper

Master Trader
Oct 26, 2011
Just one rejoinder - most of the VPS services host several servers, running into thousands which is why they are called server farms or bots. Given your apprehension, you may not want to opt for any VPS hosting service that is offered by a broker but rather opt for an independent VPN hosting service with a good track record and no downtime.

For example, both my brokers Trader's Way and FXCM do provide me with the VPS hosting, for free. I do not use the same since I have no need for one..but in case you need one, opt for one that's independent of the broker..

herculesfx

Trader
Mar 20, 2013
Brazil
try to use VPS service from Your country where You live ( not over seas ), try to find stable company that is on market over 15 years. They should have good security and internal audits to prevent from data leak. But You should consider to build Your own data center to have 100% sure that on one can log on to Your console :)